There are 27,000 accepted species, distributed in about 758 genera
and for the hybrids more than 100.000 are already registered!
Estimation of the volume for Orchidacea family by continents:
- in tropical Asia more than 7.000 species
- in tropical America, there are more than 8.000 species of orchid
- in Africa & Madagascar / Comor - 7.000 species
- in Australia & Oceania - 3.000
- in Europe - 100 species.
Estimation of the volume for Orchidaceae family in our region:
- China - 1.388 species in 194 genera (2009)
- Vietnam includes 897 species in 152 genera (2003) & 1.300 (2010)
- Cambodia - 350 (in 2003) & 500 species (2010)
and to remind you, orchids count for an important part of all species we know:
in the 250000 to 350 000 known plants, over 25 000 are orchids !